Grow your herbal knowledge from the ground (and seed) up!
ONLINE HERBALISM COURSE
Taught by Steven Martyn, MA (Traditional Plant Use)
Growing – Culinary – Medicine
This online herbalism course is an offering to seed a beautiful future for your land, for your family and community, and for you.
Runs March 7 – June 20
4 MONTHS OF HERBAL LORE: 20 HERBS IN 16 WEEKS; to birth you back into the culture of the Earth.
Come with me on a 16 week herbal journey, where you will come to know 20 magical beings that likely already live in your neighbourhood. Likely, because most of them came with the settlers and spread out as a healing balm in the cutting wake of colonization. Some of these herbs were brought accidentally by our domestic animals, others like a living blessing were brought from the old world by our wise ancestors, those who still knew the old herbal ways before the age of science and allopathic medicine. These plants are our legacy and in connecting with them we become connected to the land where we live and to our ancestral cultures.
Amazingly, these plants not only continue to heal this beautiful land in the wake of our ongoing destruction, but they are the very ones we need to heal us (those with a settler’s industrialized diet). These ‘wild’ plants can feed us with a deeper mineral rich nutrition than anything you can buy in the grocery store or market. And through their complex medicinal alchemy they can keep us healthy and give us strong immunity by toning, balancing and cleansing our organs, glands and blood. They can also aid or completely heal innumerable acute and chronic ailments.
I’m focusing on these common ‘colonial’ herbs in this course in part to undermine the colonial/industrial idea that we need rare exotic herbs to stay healthy or heal. Nothing could be further from the truth. These ‘common’ herbs are a custom made gift. Not one that we have to earn or look for, but one that our ancestors paid for and that’s been waiting at our doorstep our whole lives. Waiting for us to discover it and unwrap it.
Not only will I teach you to ‘unwrap’ each plant’s medicine but in learning this very useful art you become part of a living legacy of herbalism that co-evolved who we are. A legacy that stretches back at least 16 thousand years to the Mesolithic era, and likely much much longer. Our older relatives who were here on the Earth long before us like Bears, Deer and Wolves, used and taught the first humans about many plants.
Who am I to be teaching Traditional Herbalism?
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
- This course is for any human, from 8 years old up, who wants to know more about and feel more connected to their local plants and ecology.
- This course is for people who want to stay healthy and heal by using local herbs that they grow and forage.
- This course is for people who want a sense of their ancestral perspective and an understanding of traditional herbalism.
- This course is for People who want sovereignty from our industrial systems of food and medicine.
- This course is for those who want to feel empowered by stepping into the world of practical herbalism right away, using herbs that surround us, as opposed to waiting until you have your herbalist degree, after years of theoretical training.
WHO THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR
- If you are a well rounded herbalist and you have years of experience working with your local herbs as food and medicine this course not made for you. (Although I would fit the above description and I know the depth of my knowledge will only grow deeper from going through this course with you).
- If you are very academic and scientifically minded and looking for a clinical herbalist course, and not interested in ‘the spiritual’ or traditional aspects of herbalism, this course is not for you. (Although I’m sure you’d still gain a great deal of practical information if you could endure my non-academic approach)
- If you are perfectly happy with how you get your food and medicine and the condition of the planet this course is not for you. (Although you likely need my highly critical perspective on modernity more than anyone)
- This is not a course to become a “certified” herbalist, nor is it complete in its scope of useful plants.
GRAND CLAIMS AND WARNINGS
- This course will not only steep you in the knowledge and experience of the 20 plants we’re going to grow and work with, as well as re-awaken an instinctive “shamanic” way to work with any plants or healing agents for the rest of your life. And this ability will enable you to grow your herbal knowledge on your own to other levels, naturally expanding your knowledge to suit your needs and your ecology.
- This course will change the way you think about the land, food and healing
- It will help you move forward toward health, helping you work with both your body and the ecology that surrounds you.
- This course will offer a deep sense of security around food and medicine in a troubled time.
- It will help you feed, and be fed from the land, which will help you form a deeper connection to your ancestors and ecology.
- This course will make you response-able to the Earth
The knowledge that will be passed on to you through video, writing and live zoom meetings the last Sunday afternoon of every month (to accommodate people from all over) will be first hand from Steven’s 40 years of experience foraging, growing and using herbs.
These will include teachings about collecting seed; seeding; sprouting; growing; tending; harvesting; processing and storing; and how to prepare and use these 20 plants for food and medicine. The plant list is below.
4 choices – 4 tiers
First Tier: $160 CAN (Regular $320)
Every week you will receive pre-recorded videos and articles on the plants. On the last Sunday afternoon of every month you’ll have the chance to meet live with Steven to discuss the information shared and have him address any questions you might have.
Second Tier: $240 CAN (Regular $420)
You receive everything in the first tier, but also have sent to you 19 packages of seeds, for the species we’re working with, collected from plants nurtured here on the land. We start at the small end of the learning, with the seed. We’ll give you the seed to sprout, and encourage you to grow the plant out, learning what it is and the many ways it can be utilized as you watch it grow.
Third Tier: $340 CAN (Regular $680)
You receive everything in the first tier, plus 3 30ml tinctures or dried herbs per month (ones we are working with that month in the course, 12 tinctures in total).
Fourth Tier: $420 CAN (Regular $840)
You receive everything in the first tier:
(Every week you will receive pre-recorded videos and articles on the plants. On the last Sunday afternoon of every month you’ll have the chance to meet live with Steven to discuss the information shared and have him address any questions you might have.)
And Second tier:
(19 packages of seeds, for the species we’re working with, collected from plants nurtured here on the land. We start at the small end of the learning, with the seed. We’ll give you the seed to sprout, and encourage you to grow the plant out, learning what it is and the many ways it can be utilized as you watch it grow.)
You will also receive 3 30ml tinctures or dried herbs per month (12 in total of the herbs we’re working with).